Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» didnt i tell her...i know youre reading this..
Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm by SusanG

» had fun at the show this weekend...
Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 pm by SusanG

» picture peds
Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm by poppabill

» Vader at Discovery Green...
Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:25 am by GIL

» hello guys all is good thanks to all
Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 am by SusanG

» Phat Girl...
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm by GIL

» Hey J, you ok...
Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:25 pm by SusanG

» took mojo for a walk in the city...
Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:12 pm by GIL

» My prayers to all on this storm
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:43 pm by JSAN_911

» I'm proud of my boy... Ch Mojo Jojo IDWP2 IDTT
Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 am by GIL

» reputable dog transporter
Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:50 pm by JSAN_911

» susan new look
Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 pm by GIL

Shopmotion

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

What are ways to build confidence

Go down

What are ways to build confidence

Post by JSAN_911 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 am

Is there such thing as a shy dog? and can you break this out of him?

Can you actually build condidence in a dog pup or adult dog?
or confidence is something basically in him or not?
JSAN_911
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

http://x-mod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are ways to build confidence

Post by bulldozer bullies on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:31 am

one of my females is kinda shy around people,,,, so i expose her as much as i can aroud friends and family.. it seems to be helping.

bulldozer bullies
Bulldog legend
Bulldog legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GIL on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

I do think some shy dogs can get better with socialization... I'm working with a guy right now that has a pup that is a bit shy, and he wants to put him in a show ring. We've been taking him for walks thru this nice big park, and he has been doing allot better. But I also think some dogs are so use to being on their own yard that when they are taken out of their yard it stresses them. But I do think confidence starts early, one of the main things I look for when selecting a pup is which one is which one of the pack will come investigate who / what I am, not afraid or nervous, but wanting to play or sniff around me... and I put allot of weight on that when making my selection, so my dogs tend to be confident and outgoing. But to build on that, I also play with bite toys and tug-o-war with them, and of course they always win... and love to make their victory lap around the yard. Things like that help build their confidence, IMO...

GIL
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Taskmaster on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 pm

JSAN_911 wrote:Is there such thing as a shy dog? and can you break this out of him?

My friend (mentor) and I talk often about this all the time, literally there's almost never a day that goes by that the discussion doesn't eventually turn towards temperament. She's also had the opportunity to test out her theories as people routinely have her evaluate their litters. My friend is a herding judge, instructor, as well as having bred Pembroke Corgis, GSDs and Bourvier des Flandres for show and herding. So between her experiences and mine we come to few of conclusions...

1. You can not change how the dog is hardwired to react to stimulus. But you can in some cases depending on the behavior your trying to manipulate modify how the dog will respond to that stimuli. However, if the dog because too stressed or uncertain for whatever reason (strange/new environment, strangers and or sounds) the dog will defualt to how he is hardwired to react.

2. The earliest age to see whether the pup is a spook or not is 3-4 weeks old and depending maybe a little later.

3. A genetically bold, confident pup doesn't require socialization but it's a bonus if they have been.

4. If you must breed a genetic spook let it be the father and not the mother. Because she can hinder or temporary influence a naturally confident pup and otherwise make useless a less than perfect temperamented pup.

I personally don't want a pup that needs to coddled or cheerleaded along. I like the ones that are bold as brass, pushy and bites anything that moves. I plan to cull very hard for temperament.

I haved two breedings plan for Katara that should get me what I want and give me a very good start for my yard. Plus can wait to test a few of my own theories. sunny

Whew who lets get this party started! DANCE
Taskmaster
Bulldog legend
Bulldog legend

Back to top Go down

Post by JSAN_911 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Taskmaster wrote:
JSAN_911 wrote:Is there such thing as a shy dog? and can you break this out of him?

My friend (mentor) and I talk often about this all the time, literally there's almost never a day that goes by that the discussion doesn't eventually turn towards temperament. She's also had the opportunity to test out her theories as people routinely have her evaluate their litters. My friend is a herding judge, instructor, as well as having bred Pembroke Corgis, GSDs and Bourvier des Flandres for show and herding. So between her experiences and mine we come to few of conclusions...

1. You can not change how the dog is hardwired to react to stimulus. But you can in some cases depending on the behavior your trying to manipulate modify how the dog will respond to that stimuli. However, if the dog because too stressed or uncertain for whatever reason (strange/new environment, strangers and or sounds) the dog will defualt to how he is hardwired to react.

2. The earliest age to see whether the pup is a spook or not is 3-4 weeks old and depending maybe a little later.

3. A genetically bold, confident pup doesn't require socialization but it's a bonus if they have been.

4. If you must breed a genetic spook let it be the father and not the mother. Because she can hinder or temporary influence a naturally confident pup and otherwise make useless a less than perfect temperamented pup.

I personally don't want a pup that needs to coddled or cheerleaded along. I like the ones that are bold as brass, pushy and bites anything that moves. I plan to cull very hard for temperament.

I haved two breedings plan for Katara that should get me what I want and give me a very good start for my yard. Plus can wait to test a few of my own theories. sunny

Whew who lets get this party started! DANCE
lol i cant wait any longer
JSAN_911
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa M on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Lynda made a really good post. A dog is only going to be as strong temperamentally as its GENETICS WILL ALLOW. Obedience training, socialization and conditioning are all things that can "help" a weak nerved dog but the improvement one will gain from it is not infinite. The first thing i look for in any dog or puppy is it's confidence and nerve. The last thing i want to do is waste time coddling a dog in order for it to feel comfortable in its own skin when i could be spending that time building a bond and training behaviors.

LOYAL MEMBER
LOYAL MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JSAN_911 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:39 pm

so a weak nerve dog wont cut the mustard regarless of proper training?
JSAN_911
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa M on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Cut the mustard for what exactly? Question

LOYAL MEMBER
LOYAL MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JSAN_911 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm

can a nervous dog be trained for lets say protection work , can low confidence level affect this dog in that field?
JSAN_911
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa M on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 pm

I have seen "nervous" dogs trained in protection work and when done correctly can build confidence in a nervous dog. However, they generally don't make effective protection dogs even with good training and will always lag behind their more confident counterparts who are training under the same program...they will never catch up. Weak nerved/low confidence dogs are generally quick to go into avoidance so not sure how that wouldn't affect its performance?

It's not totally uncommon to see dogs with poor nerves being trained in pp/sport but generally those who are serious about it and/or really want to compete will not waste time with a dog who has a weak nerved temperament. It's like buying a bulldog specifically for the show ring and coming home with one that is straight stifled, cow hocked and has wry jaw. LOL. You won't get too far.

LOYAL MEMBER
LOYAL MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JSAN_911 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Lisa M wrote:I have seen "nervous" dogs trained in protection work and when done correctly can build confidence in a nervous dog. However, they generally don't make effective protection dogs even with good training and will always lag behind their more confident counterparts who are training under the same program...they will never catch up. Weak nerved/low confidence dogs are generally quick to go into avoidance so not sure how that wouldn't affect its performance?

It's not totally uncommon to see dogs with poor nerves being trained in pp/sport but generally those who are serious about it and/or really want to compete will not waste time with a dog who has a weak nerved temperament. It's like buying a bulldog specifically for the show ring and coming home with one that is straight stifled, cow hocked and has wry jaw. LOL. You won't get too far.
Thank you lisa wow you always nail it!!
JSAN_911
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down